Imagine lying on a mattress, remote control in hand, as you discover a seemingly unlimited array of sleep positions, each designed to cater to a specific need, preference or physical issue.
Welcome to the tech-enhanced world of adjustable beds. With steadily improving quality and tons of options, adjustable foundations have moved from trend to mainstream in just a few years — now comprising about 14% of the bedding market in terms of units sold — and one of its fastest-growing segments.
Today’s adjustable bed bases are both smart-looking and smart, responding to the sleeper’s every whim with the touch of a button or the click of a phone app. Want to watch TV or sit up and read before bed? Need to elevate your swollen feet or provide lumbar support for an aching back? Could your acid reflux or snoring problem benefit from a little “heads up”? Would experiencing “weightlessness” help you drift off to sleep? An adjustable bed can provide endless configurations and support levels. And don’t worry about replicating that perfect combination — your bed’s built-in memory has got your back.
Before you run out to shop for an adjustable bed, let’s look at some of the features — and caveats — to be aware of:
- Look for the perfect pair. High-tech, adjustable bases should be topped by a mattress that’s designed to have flexibility. The good news is that almost all U.S. mattresses sold today are designed to be used on an adjustable base – especially those made in the past five years – so it’s wise to consider buying the adjustable bed and mattress together. If your mattress is much older, now is probably a good time to replace it anyway to ensure you get ideal comfort and support for a good night’s sleep.
- Mind the gap. Some adjustables are equipped with wall-hugging technology that adjusts the base back toward the wall as you change elevation and position, eliminating any extra space. You stay exactly where you were, against the wall and in reach of your nightstand.
- Get a massage while you’re at it. Adjustable beds are available with built-in massagers, lighting, speakers, smart technology that monitors your sleep, and/or voice activation. Who knows – maybe someday there will be a bed that can walk the dog and make breakfast for you!
- Split the difference. King-size adjustable beds can be split so that both sides adjust independently, so your bed partner can find their own sleeping bliss. This option is preferred by many couples and actually may be saving a few marriages!
- Get the inside scoop. Whatever type of adjustable bed you consider, make sure that the foam inside the mattress used with it is CertiPUR-US® certified, which means the foam has passed rigorous standards for content, emissions and performance. Here is a list of companies and brands using CertiPUR-US certified foam.